Welcome to Cooper Family and Pediatric Chiropractic Skip to content

Could it be your child has a food allergy?

When we think of allergy, we picture the acute and possible life threatening reactions, like difficulty breathing, face swelling, rash, sneezing….etc. What you don’t realize is Suzy’s constant cough, or runny nose could be a sign of allergy. I don’t like the term allergy, because of where your mind goes when that word is mentioned. So, I like to say intolerance, sensitivity or reaction.

In today’s society we are seeing more and more signs of allergy and don’t even know it. I am going to list some signs of food allergies and then discuss where it might be originating.

Signs and symptoms:

  • Dennie’s line – a fold of skin under the lower eyelid
  • Allergic shiners- purplish discoloration under the eye
  • Salute sign- when your child rubs their nose with fingers up and palm down
  • Chronic sinus drainage
  • Nasal horizontal crease
  • Bed setting
  • Stomach aches or abdominal pain
  • Headaches
  • Chronic ear infections
  • Huge tonsils
  • Chronic tonsillitis
  • Eczema
  • Skin rashes
  • Hives
  • Alternating constipation and diarrhea
  • Bad breath
  • Stinky feet
  • Foul smelling stools
  • Frequent perspiration
  • Food cravings
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Hyperactivity and erratic behavior
  • Tourette’s
  • Asthma
  • Canker sores
  • Fatigue
  • Colic
  • Gas
  • Bloating

Do any of these look familiar to you?
While no specific cause or causes for the onset of allergies is know, the following may contribute to the development of food sensitivities and intolerances.

Genetics- if both parents have allergies, there is a 67% chance the children will have it. If just one parent has allergies, there is a 33% chance.

In utero- if mom ingests food that are allergenic

Early exposure to highly allergic foods as an infant

Poor digestion of foods

Frequent exposure to the same foods or food families

Decreased mucosal IgA

Decreased adrenal function (due to stress, toxicity)

Increased exposure to environmental toxins ( chemical pollution in water, air, medicines, vaccines and food)

3 Join the Conversation

  1. Nathan Johnson says
    Feb 08, 2016 at 6:38 PM

    I think that my daughter might be having an allergic reaction to something. She gets skin rashes on her face. They aren't too terrible, so I am not sure if I should try to find an allergy doctor or see a chiropractor or something. Thank you for the info about allergy symptoms!

  2. drnancye@me.com says
    Feb 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM

    Nathan, Chiropractors work with children to improve their immune system. In our office, we also help identify the allergens. We take a natural approach vs giving medicine.

  3. Hannah Schroeder says
    Dec 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM

    You mentioned that there's a 33 percent chance that a kid will have a food allergy if one parent has one too. My son says his tongue swells up whenever he eats strawberries. My husband is allergic to chocolate, so I guess there's at least a 33 percent chance that my son is allergic to strawberries. Maybe we can find food allergy research services that can help us figure this out.

Add Your Comment (Get a Gravatar)

Your Name

*

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.